Well, hello there!
I am JoAnna Haugen, a full-time writer, editor, public speaker, and founder of Rooted. Though I’m an avid traveler currently living as an American expatriate in Kyiv, Ukraine, I built my freelance life in the quirky desert city of Las Vegas, Nevada.
As a writer and editor, I’ve dabbled in a vast array of projects over the years spanning numerous industries. I am passionate about sharing solutions-focused stories and working on challenging projects that tackle complex issues.
I love to light a fire in readers through high-quality storytelling, and I take great pride in working with clients who want to amplify compelling narratives from unrepresented parts of the world. In particular, I see exponential opportunity in sharing community-oriented stories in a globally focused world.
- Bylines in dozens of print and online publications including Mongabay, Popular Science, Adventure.com, AdventureTravelNews, Delta Sky, Wizz Air, Modern Luxury, BBC Travel, and many others.
- Content marketing projects for international brands and agencies including USAID, Uber, Rodale, American Express, jetBlue, and MGM Resorts.
- Passionate public speaker and panel participant on a variety of topics.
- Corporate copy writing, editorial, editing, and fact-checking projects for clients in a wide range of industries.
ALSO OF INTEREST
I received my communications degree from the Edward R. Murrow School of Communication at Washington State University with an emphasis in public relations and a double minor in German and international business.
Prior to working in the media and communications industry, I served as a public health volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps in Kenya so I speak a touch of Swahili as well. I am also an international election observer.
YES, I’M A HUMAN TOO
Though freelance writing is a full-time job, my life does not revolve around my work. As such, you might be interested in these tidbits that make me tick:
- I am a big believer in trail tourism and love long-distance hiking. I’ve trekked across Liechtenstein and put hundreds of miles beneath my feet on the Alpe-Adria, John Muir, and Inca Trails.
- I’m a calculated risk adventure seeker. Some of my most memorable experiences include crawling through a burial cave in the Cook Islands, whitewater rafting the Nile River, throwing beads from a float at a Mardi Gras parade, and drinking Guinness on St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin.
- My husband and I have been host parents for six high school foreign exchange students.
- We have adopted a small zoo of rescue pets over the years, including a street dog from Kenya and a kitten from Ukraine.
- I am a huge fan of snail mail and send at least three letters a week.
HOW CAN I HELP YOU?
Go ahead and contact me. Fill me in about your writing, editing, or public speaking needs, and we’ll take it from there. I look forward to hearing from you!