I am a writer, editor, and public speaker working at the intersection of sustainable travel, environmental conservation, and community-based advocacy.
For more than a decade, I have collaborated with publications, development organizations, and corporate brands to amplify people, projects, and news in an increasingly interconnected world. Publishers, agencies, and brand representatives count on me to distill complex ideas into accessible stories that reach and impact their audiences. I enjoy working on challenging projects that tackle complex issues, especially when they empower local communities.
I embrace powerful storytelling and solutions-oriented reporting in my work.
My personal passion and professional experience as an international volunteer and election observer, passionate world traveler, and permanent resident in a developing nation offer nuanced insight into the challenges and opportunities in this area.
- An editor in need of print-ready material empowering innovative ideas and solutions — and the people behind them?
- A publisher searching for compelling stories about grassroots development projects from someone who has international living and traveling experience?
- An established brand with deeply ingrained ethical values supporting local people and encouraging thoughtful discourse?
- A creative agency looking for a content marketing writer to magnify your client’s focus on sustainability and community-based commitments?
Creating a better world one person, one encounter, one story at a time.
What clients say:
JoAnna has been a real asset to the communications staff of the National Peace Corps Association. I rely on her work and know that what she produces will always be well written, capture the essence of the story, and be completed on time.
– Erica Burman, former director of communications, National Peace Corps Association
She has literally revamped the quality of our online content to the point where our readership has grown substantially. Plus, we have many more readers visiting often, signing up for our newsletters, etc. Her writing and editing is top notch. She has a gift with words and their construction.
– Thomas Hollowell, owner, Journey Beyond Travel
JoAnna is one of the most talented, organized, and conscientious people I’ve ever worked with. She goes above and beyond every single day. I thoroughly enjoy working with her and trust her completely. She does what everyone wants co-workers to do: makes my life easier and my workday more pleasant. So happy to have her in my corner!
– Dawn McMullan, senior editor, International News Media Association