Well, hello there!
I am JoAnna Haugen, a full-time writer, editor and content marketer. Though I’m currently living as an American expatriate in Kyiv, Ukraine, I built my freelance life in the quirky and fun desert city of Las Vegas, Nevada, which I have written about for nearly ten years.
As a freelance writer, I’ve dabbled in a vast array of projects over the years spanning numerous industries. I am comfortable with and knowledgeable about many different topics – and I adore working with clients on challenging projects.
I love to light a fire in readers through high-quality storytelling, and I take great pride in working with clients who need that extra spark in their copy or seek a passionate pen to elicit action on behalf of their potential customers.
- Bylines in more than 60 print and online publications including American Way, Medical Economics, Popular Science, Modern Luxury, BBC Travel, CNNGo and many, many more.
- Content marketing projects for international brands and agencies including Uber, Rodale, American Express, jetBlue, Massage Envy and InterContinental Hotel Group.
- Corporate and copy writing, editing and fact checking projects for clients in the travel, tourism, hospitality, alternative medicine, fitness, business/finance, photography and construction management industries, among others.
- Book-related projects for clients working in travel, business, social media and fitness industries.
- Passionate public speaker and panel participant on a variety of topics.
CURRENT AND PAST STAFF AND CONTRACT POSITIONS
- Managing editor, AdventureTravelNews, Adventure Travel Trade Association, January 2017-present
- Blog editor, International News Media Association, July 2014-present
- Las Vegas travel columnist, Orange County Register, March 2015-July 2016
- Contributing editor, Travel Weekly, August 2012-March 2015
- Managing editor, Journey Beyond Travel, March 2010-May 2013
- Alumni news editor for National Peace Corps Association web site and WorldView magazine, April 2007-October 2012
- Las Vegas travel guide writer, BootsnAll, May 2010-September 2011
- Associate editor, Matador Network, November 2009-September 2010
- Creative copy writer, web content specialist and communications assistant, Diamond Resorts International, September 2007-October 2009
- Inbound (HubSpot) – valid through December 2017
- Adventure Travel Trade Association (October 2016-present)
ALSO OF INTEREST
I received my degree from the Edward R. Murrow School of Communication at Washington State University with an emphasis in public relations and a double minor in German and international business. Though I never worked a day in public relations, I have an understanding of the media industry from the PR side, which I’ve found helpful in my day-to-day work.
Prior to working in the media and communications industry, I served as a public health volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps in Kenya.
YES, I’M A HUMAN TOO
Though freelance writing is a full-time job, my life does not revolve around my work. As such, you might be interested in these tidbits that make me tick:
- I’m a calculated risk adventure seeker. Some of my most memorable experiences include snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, hiking both the Inca and John Muir Trails, whitewater rafting the Nile River, throwing beads from a float at a Mardi Gras parade and drinking Guinness on St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin.
- My husband and I have been host parents for six high school foreign exchange students.
- We have adopted a small zoo of rescue pets over the years, including a street dog from Kenya and a kitten from Ukraine.
- I am a huge fan of snail mail and send at least three letters a week.
HOW CAN I HELP YOU?
Go ahead and contact me. Fill me in about your writing, editing or public speaking needs, and we’ll take it from there. I look forward to hearing from you!