I am a seasoned Las Vegas-based full-time freelance writer and editor with work published in dozens of print and online international, national and regional publications. I also work with clientele ranging from solo entrepreneurs to large companies spanning a wide range of industries on writing and content production projects. My work has encompassed everything from menus and brochures to news articles, magazine features, white papers and books. I love stumbling upon fresh ideas, interviewing fascinating people and learning new things on my journey to inform and entertain through my writing.
Prior to going into business for myself, I worked as a creative copy writer in the hospitality industry and served in the U.S. Peace Corps as a public health volunteer. Beyond my working hours as a writer, I am an avid reader, world traveler, road tripper, pet adopter, burgeoning backpacker, long distance runner and host parent to a global family of high school foreign exchange students.
Writing Experience, Clips and Samples
I have been a writer of all trades: Travel writer, article writer, copy writer, ghost writer, technical writer and blogger. I am also an editor and create content marketing materials for many clients. In addition:
- I write a column about Las Vegas for the Orange County Register.
- I am a blog editor for the International Newsmedia Association, where I manage and edit work from approximately 50 bloggers located around the world.
- I maintain a personal blog, Kaleidoscopic Wandering, for those interested in following my travels and family adventures.
I have written for dozens of print and online publications on a myriad of topics, including the samples noted below. I have also been tapped for expertise that has been published on several blogs. Please feel free to request published clips where links are not available or for more information on my portfolio.
- Rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, Viator, June 2014
- In Step with the Stars on HAL Sailing, Travel Weekly, April 2014
- 5 Most Underrated National Parks, AAA Highroads, April 2014
- Lindblad’s Eco-Minded Exploration, Travel Weekly, January 2014
- Iceland’s Ring Road, AAA Highroads, October 2013
- A Family Affair, Desert Companion, May 2013
- From Ashes to Architecture, Acadiana Profile, May 2013
- 26 Cheap Things to Do, Eat and See in New Orleans, Huffington Post (syndicated), August 2013
- Your Own Amazing Race: 6 Adventure Competitions around the World, Viator, August 2012
- Make a Splash, Desert Companion, May 2012
- The Grand Canyon’s Other Side, BBC Travel, May 2012
- Try This: Trailer Lodging, American Way, July 2011
- Mexico’s Green Oasis, National Geographic Intelligent Traveler, September 2010
- Cultural Tourism: Does it Help or Exploit Local Communities?, BootsnAll, April 2010
- Everything You Need to Know about Agritourism, BootsnAll, March 2010
- Additional articles published for Caribbean Travel & Life, AFAR Media, up!, CarInsuranceQuotes.com, Matador Network, GRAND Magazine, Pathfinders Travel and SpecialLiving.
NEVADA AND LAS VEGAS
- Checking In at Vegas’ New Boutique Hotels, Travel Weekly, December 2014
- Las Vegas’ 8 Best Beer Destinations, Thrillist, June 2014
- Downtown Container Park, Nevada Magazine, April 2014
- 5 Best Attractions of Old Vegas, AAA Highroads, March 2014
- Vegas in a Different Light, SilverKris, August 2013
- Neon Museum Illuminates Las Vegas’ Past, Travel Weekly, February 2013
- Insider Guide: Best of Las Vegas, CNNGo, June 2013
- Las Vegas Hotels are Green as well as Glitzy, Travel Weekly, October 2012
- The Best of Las Vegas, BBC Travel, August 2012
- Nevada’s Forgotten National Park, BBC Travel, March 2012
- Additional articles published for AAA Via, Wynn Magazine, Diamond Resorts International Magazine, Las Vegas Review-Journal and Las Vegas Real Estate Magazine, and dozens of others for Travel Weekly.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Light Year Ahead, Desert Companion, January 2015
- Famous Chefs Heat Up Vegas’ Restaurant Scene, Travel Weekly, November 2014
- Old-School Appeal at Piero’s Italian Restaurant, Travel Weekly, August 2014
- The Best, Most Epic and Creative Desserts in Las Vegas … Including a $1,000 Sundae, Thrillist, April 2014
- Follow the Farmland, AAA Highroads, April 2014
- Mixological Creatures, Desert Companion, October 2013
HEALTH AND FITNESS
- Boost Your Brain Power, Massage Envy Magazine, Spring 2013
- Mud, Sweat and Cheers, Volume One, June 2009
- Additional articles published for Silent Sports and Desert Companion.
ARTS, CULTURE AND LITERATURE
- A Show in Motion: Something Old and News in NBT’s ‘The Nutcracker,’ Las Vegas Sun, December 2014
- Additional articles published for Western Art & Architecture, Luxury Las Vegas, Vegas Magazine and Volume One.
COMPANY AND PERSONAL PROFILES
- Conrad Pfeifer: Cave Recovery Diver, Matador Network, February 2010
- Additional articles published for Vegas Magazine and WorldView.
- Learning to Yodel in Switzerland, Matador Network, May 2011
- A ‘Junk’ Trip in Vietnam, Volume One, April 2010
- Defining Paradise: Why is it All About the Beaches?, BootsnAll, February 2010
- Local Culture Club: The Universal Desire to Fit In, Matador Network, December 2009
- Burn, Baby, Burn, Volume One, November 2009
- Golden Rainbow Rallies for HIV/AIDS Survivors, Vegas Magazine, January 2013
- Turning Tragedy Into Opportunity, WorldView, Fall 2009
- 5 Things You Should Know Before Joining the Peace Corps, Matador Network, July 2009
FAMILY, LIFESTYLE, HOME AND GARDEN
- 10 Tips for Buying Nutritious Food, Charlotte Parent, January 2011
- Why You Should Adopt a Special Needs Pet, Matador Network, May 2010
- Room with a View, Las Vegas Review-Journal, October 2008
- Additional articles published for The Costco Connection and Fido Friendly.
- 10 Apps That Will Change How Your Road Trip, Mom.me, July 2015
- Essential Apps Enhance Vegas Visits, Travel Weekly, May 2013
- Self-Driving Cars Captivate Us, But What About Safety?, CarInsuranceQuotes.com, January 2013
- Additional articles published for Physicians Practice.
EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT
- Job Seeking in the Tech Age, Las Vegas Review-Journal, March 2012
- Radical Public Education Strategies in the U.S., Matador Network, December 2009
TEEN LIFE AND COLLEGE ORIENTATION
- Where Will You Go? Deciding on a College, My College Guide, June 2012
- Additional articles published for NextStepU, Six78th, College Outlook, Achieve and Kiki.
MEDICAL AND WELLNESS
- Articles published for Physicians Practice, The New Physician, Las Vegas Review-Journal, Reno Gazette-Journal, Massage Envy Magazine and NextStepU.
BUSINESS AND TRADE
- Articles for Massage & Bodywork, Antique West, Antique Week, ConventionSouth, Cheer Biz News, Dance Studio Owner, Dance Teacher, Paint & Decorating Retailer, The Engraver’s Journal and Child Care Exchange.
Blogging, Copy Writing, Editing and Ghost Writing Experience
My portfolio includes a myriad of writing and editing projects for small business and corporate clients in the travel and tourism, lifestyle, alternative medicine, fitness, hospitality, finance, wedding, construction management, general business, entertainment and social media industries.
I have also created, updated and fact checked travel guides for several travel and hospitality brands including guidebook work for DK Eyewitness Travel Guides.
I have helped with the writing and/or editing of the following books:
- Maximize Your Social by Neal Schaffer (2013)
- Maximizing LinkedIn for Sales and Social Media Marketing by Neal Schaffer (2011)
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Barefoot Running by Dr. Craig Thomas and Thomas Hollowell (2011)
I am occasionally interviewed for blogs, radio shows and books or featured in publications due to my travel and writing experiences and background. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information on where these interviews and features can be found.
- MatadorU Travel Writing Course, 2009
- The Copywriter’s Workshop, National Seminars Group, 2008
- Institute for Children’s Literature, 2006
- Washington State University, bachelor of arts in public relations with an international emphasis, 2003
- Recipient, Nevada Arts Council Professional Development Grant, 2015
- Recipient, Nevada Arts Council Professional Development Grant, 2012
- Finalist, Brick Street Poetry Inc. winter writing contest, 2012
- Grand Prize Winner, WanderWomen Write Contest, 2009
- Winner, Sharing Travel Experiences World’s Most Inspirational Place Contest, 2009
- Winner, International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association 2010 Conference Scholarship
- Winner, Volume One 2009 Flash Fiction Contest
- Honorarium recipient, 2009 Digital Vagabonding Roads Scholar
- Recipient, Jim Collins Fellowship, National Peace Corps Association
- Recipient, Outstanding Writing Portfolio, Washington State University, 2003
- Member – International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association, September 2009-September 2011
- Member – Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, January 2010-March 2011
- Member – Las Vegas Quills Women’s Writing Group, August 2007-December 2009
- Facilitator – Las Vegas Quills Children’s Writing Group, April 2009-October 2009