I am a seasoned Las Vegas-based full-time freelance writer and editor with work published in dozens of print and online international, national and regional publications. I also work with clientele ranging from solo entrepreneurs to large companies spanning a wide range of industries on writing and content production projects. My work has encompassed everything from menus and brochures to news articles, magazine features, white papers and books. I love stumbling upon fresh ideas, interviewing fascinating people and learning new things on my journey to inform and entertain through my writing.
Prior to going into business for myself, I worked as a creative copy writer in the hospitality industry and served in the U.S. Peace Corps as a public health volunteer. Beyond my working hours as a writer, I am an avid reader, world traveler, road tripper, pet adopter, burgeoning backpacker, long distance runner and host parent to a global family of high school foreign exchange students.
I am a writer of all trades: Travel writer, magazine writer, copy writer, ghost writer, technical writer, editor and blogger.
- I am the contributing editor for the Las Vegas section of Travel Weekly and TravelWeekly.com, one of the most influential B2B news resources for the travel industry.
- I am a blog editor for the International Newsmedia Association, where I manage and edit work from approximately 50 bloggers located around the world.
- I maintain a personal blog, Kaleidoscopic Wandering, for those interested in following my travels and family adventures.
I have written for dozens of print and online publications, including those noted below. I have also been tapped for expertise that has been published on several blogs. Please feel free to request published clips where links are not available or for more information on my portfolio.
American Way, the in-flight publication for American Airlines.
> Sample article: Try This: Trailer Lodging
SilverKris, the in-flight magazine for Singapore Airlines.
> Sample article: Vegas in a Different Light
AAA Highroads, Arizona’s publication for AAA members.
> Sample article: Iceland’s Ring Road
AFAR Media, the popular experiential travel magazine.
> I wrote and curated the Las Vegas guide.
Travel Weekly, a B2B news source for the travel industry.
> Sample article: Checking in at Vegas’ New Boutique Hotels
> Sample article: Old School Appeal at Piero’s Italian Restaurant
> Sample article: In Step with the Stars on HAL Sailing
> Sample article: The LINQ Aims to Bring Fun Outdoors
Thrillist, a travel and lifestyle publication with an edge.
> Sample article: The Best, Most Epic & Creative Desserts in Vegas … Including a $1,000 Sundae
Vegas Magazine, Las Vegas’ premiere luxury magazine.
> Sample article: Golden Rainbow Rallies for HIV/AIDS Survivors
Desert Companion, the regional magazine of National Public Radio that celebrates the pursuits, passions and aspirations of Southern Nevadans.
> Sample article: The Dish: Light Year Ahead
> Sample article: The Road Less Traveled
> Sample article: A Family Affair
Acadiana Profile, the magazine of Cajun country.
> Sample article: From Ashes to Architecture
ME, the magazine for Massage Envy.
> Sample article: Boost Your Brainpower
Las Vegas Sun, a community newspaper with a 60-year legacy.
> Sample article: A Show in Motion: Something Old and New in NBT’s ‘The Nutcracker’
Other publication credits include: USA Today Experience Las Vegas, CNNGo, Caribbean Travel & Life, up!, The Costco Connection, Fido Friendly, Wynn Magazine, Pathfinders Travel, The New Physician, Luxury Las Vegas, Las Vegas Review-Journal, Reno Gazette Journal, Kiki, Six78th, The Engraver’s Journal, NextStepU, Home School, Cheer Biz News, My College Guide, Silent Sports, Dance Teacher, Convention South, AntiqueWest and Paint & Decorating Retailer.
My portfolio includes a myriad of writing and editing projects for small business and corporate clients in the travel and tourism, lifestyle, alternative medicine, fitness, hospitality, finance, wedding, construction management, general business, entertainment and social media industries.
I have also created, updated and fact checked travel guides for several travel and hospitality brands including guidebook work for DK Eyewitness Travel Guides.
I have helped with the writing and/or editing of the following books:
- Maximize Your Social by Neal Schaffer (2013)
- Maximizing LinkedIn for Sales and Social Media Marketing by Neal Schaffer (2011)
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Barefoot Running by Dr. Craig Thomas and Thomas Hollowell (2011)
I am occasionally interviewed for blogs, radio shows and books or featured in publications due to my travel and writing experiences and background. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information on where these interviews and features can be found.
- MatadorU Travel Writing Course, 2009
- The Copywriter’s Workshop, National Seminars Group, 2008
- Institute for Children’s Literature, 2006
- Washington State University, bachelor of arts in public relations with an international emphasis, 2003
- Finalist, Brick Street Poetry Inc. winter writing contest, 2012
- Grand Prize Winner, WanderWomen Write Contest, 2009
- Winner, Sharing Travel Experiences World’s Most Inspirational Place Contest, 2009
- Winner, International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association 2010 Conference Scholarship
- Winner, Volume One 2009 Flash Fiction Contest
- Honorarium recipient, 2009 Digital Vagabonding Roads Scholar
- Recipient, Jim Collins Fellowship, National Peace Corps Association
- Recipient, Outstanding Writing Portfolio, Washington State University, 2003
- Member – International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association, September 2009-September 2011
- Member – Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, January 2010-March 2011
- Member – Las Vegas Quills Women’s Writing Group, August 2007-December 2009
- Facilitator – Las Vegas Quills Children’s Writing Group, April 2009-October 2009